After many years of thought, I have come to the conclusion that government is only good at two things; regulation and collecting money. I know some of you are thinking they’re really good at spending money too but I think they spend money poorly but boy do they know how to find more of it and how to extract it from even the most reluctant of us.
Government has figured out how to tax everything and when all that tax money proved to be insufficient for what they were spending it on, they invented user fees for things our taxes had already bought and paid for. They created fees for permits, licenses and the documents they require us to have and they have built a bureaucracy to control it all.
Canada’s GDP is estimated at $1.74 trillion annually. User fees, income and capital gains taxes alone take more than $299 billion out of the economy (source: Canada Revenue Agency and Stats Canada). Add to that consumption taxes which include the federal Goods and Services Tax, provincial sales taxes, excise taxes, school taxes, municipal property taxes, provincial income taxes and my particular favourite, the Welcome Tax in Quebec. (Home buyers pay what is referred to as a welcome tax on the purchase of a home as a way of making them feel welcome in their new community.
Overall, all levels of government combined take approximately 50% of the income earned by Canadians in the form of taxes or user fees and that, my friends, is greed at a level that would make the guys from Enron drool and Bernie Madoff positively slap his forehead and ask himself, “Why didn’t I think of that?”
They use that money to provide services, many of which we never hear of or see. Why? Because they turn the money over to the bureaucracy and the bureaucracy is quite simply a world of its own. In fact, I actually believe that government bureaucrats are the direct descendants of a race of aliens who came to earth eons ago after their home planet became so weighted down by red tape and regulation, it imploded.
I also believe that politicians are the descendants of the cross breeding between the ancestors of those bureaucrats from another planet and human beings.
They look like us. They walk like us but they don’t think, talk or live like us. They have no soul. That is how we know that they are not from around here. They are like ants living in a colony. They each have assigned tasks and go about those tasks like robots and because of that single-minded focus they now control everything.
Bureaucrats exist to regulate and control Politicians exist to spend money. That is their only purpose in life. They were bred by bureaucrats to feed the bureaucracy. Without the politicians, bureaucrats would have nothing to do and all that money they collect so industriously would sit in a big room somewhere collecting dust. They are like bees who collect pollen every day, it has to be used or sooner or later the hive drowns in it.
Initially, politicians weren’t very good at spending money. Some, in fact, were downright frugal which really tended to gum up the works so bureaucrats had to come up with additional ways to spend money and they did. They invented regulations and they found that it was good. This had the advantage of not only increasing cost but it also helped to teach their political offspring new ways to spend money. This allowed bureaucrats to find new ways to target the collection of money.
They have become so good at imposing regulation that nothing escapes them; nothing is too small or insignificant for some form of government control. They regulate everything.
They regulate traffic with signs instructing us to follow the rules: stop, no parking, no stopping, no turns, right turn only, left turn only, do not enter, no left turn, no right turn, yield, merge and my favourite, proceed with caution.
If it moves, they license it including; boats, cars, bikes, dogs, motorcycles and aircraft. If it’s fun they require a permit be purchased. Bureaucrats are suspicious of fun and so charge citizens to hold parades, community sports events, festivals, outdoor concerts and to make a few bucks as buskers on our streets.
If it is stationary, they tax it and have developed property taxes, agricultural taxes and marketing boards, parking fees and fines for non compliance.
They have effectively squeezed the mob out of the distribution and control of cigarettes, booze and gambling and soon will have pushed them out of illegal drugs. The bureaucracy and their political offspring is considering ways to legalize drugs which will lead to a whole new group of regulations, fees and taxes. Soon, the mob will be reduced to holding garage and bake sales and no one, not even Francis Ford Coppola will want to make movies about them anymore.
If you buy it, you pay a consumption tax. If you sell it you pay income tax on the money you made over a certain amount. If you die, they tax the pennies on your eyes.
They regulate safety, health, transportation, communications, education, the environment, infrastructure development, hunting, fishing, professional and amateur sports and business. In fact, they regulate everything except credit card interest rates and gas prices.
They impose costs on manufacturers with ridiculous labeling restrictions and delay new product development with endless assessments, reviews and licensing processes. The bureaucracy lives for process. It is their oxygen.
The list is endless and even as I write this, somewhere in Canada….perhaps in many somewheres….there are government bureaucrats developing, refining and considering new regulations and planning the number of new bureaucrats it will require to monitor and enforce those regulations.
The simple fact is that the single biggest industry in Canada now is government. When you add all governments together, government employees more people than any other industry. It touches more lives than any other industry including technology. In fact, government touches pretty much every Canadian’s life from birth to death and then, of course, they don’t want anything to do with you although in some jurisdictions you are still permitted to vote after you die .
And that, my friends is the real problem. Government is not an industry. It produces nothing and creates no wealth. It erodes it. Government takes wealth from its citizens and the more wealth it takes the more it threatens the prosperity of every individual and the nation as a whole.
I believe we should all contribute our fair share to provide the common services we need as a society. I even believe in a responsible social safety net but when government is taking half of the wealth generated by a people, it’s starting to cross over into Marie Antoinette territory and that creates unrest that didn’t end well for anybody, especially Marie and many of her friends.
In the United States, the situation is not much better as exemplified by the 22,000 income tax regulations that country's bureaucracy has developed and by the current presidential election campaign. Both candidates are offering government in one form or another as the solution to the problems our American friends are facing but just as it is in Canada, and every other country in the world, democratic and totalitarian alike; government is the problem.
How do I know this?
I ran this post by someone who works for government at a fairly high level and he told me that he agreed and wanted to work towards bringing about real change to government…….and he was prepared to hire as many people as necessary to make that happen.
I could almost hear the mechanical voice inside his head whispering over and over and over again , “this does not compute”.
© 2012 Maggie's Bear
all rights reserved
The content of this article is the sole property of Maggie's Bear but a link to it may be shared by those who think it may be of interest to others
I had an Aunt in Alberta who drilled into me at an early age (during the 1960's) that Bureaucracy had only one purpose, to grow in size. The success of a Bureaucrat was measured by how many bureaucrats they had working for them.
ReplyDeleteThat pearl of wisdom still appears to apply to this date.
Gerry from GTA
Actually, while they still partly measure their success by the number of people working for them, they have expanded their evaluation metrics to include the number of meeting attended in a week, the size of their individual budgets and, of course, how many sick days they can accumulate and then use in a calendar year.
DeleteBureaucrats are the single biggest impediment to freedom in any society.
ReplyDeletePowell Lucas
Yup! And politicians are right behind them egging them on.
DeleteVery interesting and accurate assessment of government and bureaucracies, the only question I have is are they Reptilian or Annunaki?, I'd bet on Reptilian and I base that on their cold blooded ways.
ReplyDeleteThey are neither. They have no blood and are not deities although the Mesopotamians believed they were. They are the descendants of an insect like creature that was composed of organic material held together by red tape. They were able to mutate into human form during the Paleolithic Era but they were never able to overcome their genetic need band together in colonies.
Deletebureaucrats lack the ability to think critically. that is why they are comfortable imposing silly rules and regulations on those of us who do..... owg
ReplyDeleteI purposely took a shot ab bureaucracy because it has become too pervasive in our societies. It over-regulates and under delivers. The tragedy is that there are some very good people working within most bureaucracies but they are as much a prisoner of process and the system as the rest of us. Many leave to find jobs in the private sector but too many lose their initiative and simply hunker down, follow the path of least resistance and wait until they qualify for full pension. It's a terrible thing that bureaucracy imposes on them.
DeletePart 1:
ReplyDeleteWhen I briefly lived in Ottawa, I dated a staffer in an ADM's office -- I was told they were cancelling blackberry contracts with penalty just to get the latest blackberry because another ADM got it and other ADM's needed to keep up (testosterone based) -- I was appalled but this was the norm.
I also saw the civil service hated Harper with a vengeance. I heard about how departments where stalling implementation of policy because they would state they would be out soon and things would return to "normal" thus no need to implement government policy. it is 5 years later and they are still in power -- it would be interesting to see if they are running the same blockage. I suspect it is because I hear from bureaucrats I know they still hate Harper.
I now understand why Trudeau decapitated the 5 top levels of the bureaucracy to implement his socialist policies -- Mulroney was an idiot and abolished that and we are now seeing a pro-Liberal/NDP mentality embedded in the bureaucracy.
While living in Ottawa I realized that all the traffic lights were synced to maximize the time to get to work -- I was baffled as while living in Mississauga saw how one could drive across Mississauga (east/west) and hit a minimal number of red lights. It was a continual source of frustration while I lived there.
It was not for 6-12 months living in Ottawa that I understood Ottawa -- Ottawa lives in a bubble, there are no other cities within 1.5 hours of a drive that did not rely 50%+ on the government. Ottawa is in a dampening field of bureaucracy that dampens original/independent/creative thought. If you are not of the body Landrou (aka the bureaucracy hammers you into oblivion).
I was in a grocery store in ottawa and was almost attacked by the customers because I dared complain to a stock boy on 2 days before christmas eve that there was only 2 cash registers open in Loblaws during prime time hours with 30-40 people per line. All I said was call your manager and get more people on staff on the registers. I was not rude, just appalled by the poor service. I received a large number of snarky remarks to my "rude behaviour" because I dared rock the boat -- They were content to stand in line for 45 minutes to buy their groceries at a 25% to 40% markup on products you could buy in Toronto at a Loblaws store. Needless to say. I was appalled. One could go to Gatineau and get cheaper food and better service and recently gas is cheaper in Gatineau than Ontario -- Thank you Dalton & the new taxes.
I saw this in banks in Ottawa and other places such as restaurants that shut down at 8 PM, pubs shut down by city bureaucrats because people where having fun. The lacking concept was customer satisfaction. It was a top-down mentality of a socialist state. This was Ontario -- capital of Canada.
Gerry from GTA
Bureaucracies occur everywhere. If you're street is going to have its annual neighbourhood garage sale, inevitably someone with a clipboard organizes a committee and the first that committee does is structure itself: sign guy, refreshment guy, Internet promotion guy and so on. The second thing it does is try to impose some rules on how the sale will be conducted. It is the nature of bureaucracy.
DeleteIt is not ideological. Ottawa's bureaucracy might lean to the left but it isn't the result of socialism. Few would suggest the United States is a socialist country but long before Barrack Obama showed up, 1 in 6 Americans worked for some level of government bureaucracy.
Part 2:
ReplyDeleteThe constant red light traffic in ottawa struck me as an insight when I realized that bureaucrats love static systems. Dynamic systems are too complicated for them to mentally handle thus it is easier to control traffic when it is not moving. Thus the traffic light system. Nobody was moving fast -- I found i could move faster thru housing neighborhoods with speed-bumps at 40 kph speed limit than thru
thoroughfares during rush hour -- something says there are problems in their analysis.
Bureaucrats are evil.
Thus echo's my aunt's pearl of wisdom and yes you are correct -- those extra categories are new milestones to measure the success of the bureaucrat -- sad part is that public service has never been a blip on their goals.
One additional point -- in the 80's & 90's there was the philosophy that government should be run more like business. I saw the exact opposite implemented -- most large business is now run very much as large government bureaucracies. I have seen idiotic policies implemented in high tech firms who have a policy to increase their staff but minimize wages -- I have seen the original developers who built the company's product forced out // not left on their own // in favour of off-shore developers working for 10%-20% of the wage. Big Corporations are now equivalent to Big Government bureaucracies. Innovation is now truly dead in big corporate environment.
You have to live in a city where 80% of the workforce in a city work as a bureaucrat -- city/provincial/federal till you realize how insidious they are.
I repeat -- they are evil.
I apologize for the length -- you have to live in Ottawa to understand how pervasive the bureaucratic mentality is.
Gerry from GTA
I don't believe bureaucrats are evil. I know many and they are decent folks with families and friends. Bureaucrats are part of system that is overly complex and that has no other reason to exist than to implement legislation and to collect money. Bureaucracy is not evil, it is a machine. The people come and go within the bureaucracy but the bureaucracy continues uninterrupted and without feeling.
Delete