It has been unbelievably hot, humid and we haven’t had any real rain in over a month. Some days, I feel like a slab of over-cooked meat. Before my friends in the Climate Change Brigade start rushing around yelling “I told you so” and “the sky is falling, flee the village”, we’ve seen this before.
Every now and then, the weather (like some people) just gets flat out stupid.
It has been so hot this summer that my garage door sticks when I press the remote, our grass looks like kindling and all the plants and flowers Maggie worked so hard to plant reach out and grab our ankles as we walk by whispering in parched little voices, “water, water, please…..some water.”
It’s so hot that even our Springer Spaniel, Jasper, is hard-pressed to be his usual psychotic self and spends much of his time sitting in a corner and staring at me with with a far-away accusatory look in his eyes and his tongue hanging out as if the weather is my fault. It isn’t!
I recycle (not happily but I do it). Even though we live in the country, we use our car less than the average suburbanite and we use only electricity in our home. No green house gas emission there boy. We use air-conditioning sparingly, barbeque most of our meals and bag most of our groceries in ridiculously too large or too small cloth bags. We're careful about energy consumption and do what we can to keep our little part of the world clean.
In other words, we are living the dream. Like so many others we're following the mantra (or at least most of it) of the environmental movement and guess what? The weather is still hot and I personally don’t believe it is because there is Styrofoam in the landfill, gas-driven economies or plastic bags.
The earth is a hostile environment. It is beautiful in many places but hostile. It is filled with dangerous places, dangerous creatures (some so small you don’t even see them before they bite and poison you) and guess what? The earth has a dangerous climate because the earth is part of a dangerous solar system that is powered by a highly volatile star; we call the sun that is constantly throwing off sun flares which have a very dramatic impact on our world.There were a number of serious solar flares over the past year and here we are with stupid hot weather. The solar flares burn off all that space dust that acts as a barrier between us and the sun’s harmful rays. Less dust, more heat gets through and my lawn turns to hay and Jasper's tongue comes out and his eyes start to roll.
None of this will matter, of course. The environmental fanatics will be down at the climate-change temple complete with its Icon of Al Gore, holding hands in a prayer circle to try and use positive energy to bring the world together in eliminating greenhouse gas emissions. Either that or they will be celebrating the fact that they were right and the end of the world has arrived.
Unless the temple is air-conditioned, I won’t be joining them. I’d rather burn a little more energy to cool down whatever room I’m in and I’m prepared to risk climate change to get my body temperature back down to 98.6 or somewhere near it.
What really annoys me though is not that our weather goes through periods of extremes like it is this summer but that it has those extremes upside down. It really is stupid. Smart weather would put some of the extreme hot period in winter where it would do some good and some of the extreme cool weather in the summer. That way, we might get some balanced temperatures throughout the year. This would be smart weather because it would be environmentally friendly (not to mention people friendly). It would cut down on the use of power consumption for air conditioners and furnaces to start with.I’d like to blame politicians for the weather because it just seems to fit so nicely with everything else they’ve screwed up but the truth is, the weather isn’t their fault. I do believe, however, that our weather is a perfect metaphor for our politics; extreme and stupid (C’mon, you knew I was going to mention politics somewhere in the post).
But, in the end, this stupid heat wave isn’t the fault of politicians. It isn’t my fault or the fault of greenhouse gas emissions, SUVs or plastic bags either. It’s just part of the natural order of things and I suspect we would be a lot further ahead if we stopped worrying about who or what to blame for it and started devoting more time and resources to learning how to adapt to it and live comfortably and safely with it.
While you guys work on that, I’m going to get a cold drink and go sit in the air conditioning for awhile. It looks like it might rain soon. I’ve been fooled before by the weather (it’s such a tease) but there is always hope.
Let me know what you come up with.
RELATED
George Carlin & The Bear On Saving The Planet
http://bearsrant.blogspot.ca/2011/09/screw-green.html
RELATED
George Carlin & The Bear On Saving The Planet
http://bearsrant.blogspot.ca/2011/09/screw-green.html
© 2012 Maggie's Bear
all rights reserved
The content of this article is the sole property of Maggie's Bear but a link to it may be shared by those who think it may be of interest to others

Non-stop rain here & weather colder than normal-a lot colder. Will ship you some of our weather if we could have some of yours.
ReplyDeleteYou may have as much of ours as you like. This idea of trading weather makes more sense to me than trading carbon credits. I wish I had thought of it.
DeleteMove to western Canada. It's been a cooler summer than in the east. Wet too. Drying out nicely now so farmers can begin to reap what they sowed soon, less hail damage.
ReplyDeleteI knew it. This hot, sticky weather is Daltion McGuinty's fault.
Deletehttp://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/08/04/climate-change-real-scientist.html
ReplyDeleteAccording to the CBC and their expert James Hansen, "Global Warming is a fact",so you are posting heresy!
Keep up the good work,bear. It's 37 degrees here in Kelowna today,but we're getting used to it. In another month it'll be Fall,and we'll pine for those glorious hot days of bikinis and beer.
Once our beloved leader,Christy Clark, sees the CBC headline,any chance of her rescinding the carbon tax is out the window.
I always wanted to be a heretic, sort of a wild-eyed stranger riding into town on the back of a donkey covered in locusts but Maggie wouldn't let me. Something to do with scaring the neighbours or something.
DeleteYou have my sympathies with Christy Clark but it could be worse, you could have Dalton McGuinty. Unlike Ms Clark who is simply stupid, Mr. McGuinty is both stupid and dishonest.
According to the eco-fascists at the CBC, they told us that Toronto had a July that was equally as hot as the july in 1942.
ReplyDeleteSo what's their point to link Global warming to scare all of us about the MPP's and MP's SUV's and mega-homes with Air Conditioning and their massive cottages.
I always get a laugh when people I know who are concerned about greenhouse gas emissions stop to pick up a coffee at the drive-thru at Tim Hortons. Apparently, no matter how long you sit in your car with your motor running, Tim's is an emission-free zone.
Deleteif the public was so concerned about greenhouse gas emissions like the NDP and the commie frauds at greenpeace keep telling us we are then we'd all be living on no fossil fuel communes or at the very least there would be a lot less cars on the road and a lot more solar panels on houses
ReplyDeleteWe live in a society that pays lip service to issues rather than deals with issues.
DeleteJeeze, it's been hot. I am definitely waiting for summer to be over. I'm a fence sitter on climate change -- I think man could be a causality or at least a factor, but I have no idea how much, and generally leave the topic to those who want to hash it out.
ReplyDeleteTry walking in this stuff, in Atlanta, every single day. I am so ready for fall.
I don't discount that civilization has some impact on the earth's climate but I don't for a moment believe it has the impact of the alarmists. What I do believe, however, is that the weather for the past six weeks has been just flat out stupid. Fortunately, it has returned to normal (for now at least). We've finally had a few days of rain, the temperatures are back to normal and the humidity has been cut dramatically. Now, if I could just get my grass to grow again, life would be pretty good.
Delete